Betavert 8 mg (Betahistine)
Betavert 8 mg is used to treat Meniere?s disease, condition which typically causes vertigo (sensation of spinning or rotation),tinnitus (ringing in ears), hearing loss and nausea (urge to vomit).
How long does it take for Betahistine to work?
Betahistine 8 mg belongs to the group of medicines called histamine analogues. It acts by improving blood flow in the inner ear, which reduces the buildup of pressure causing vertigo, tinnitus, hearing loss and nausea.
Betahistine side effects
Fast heartbeat, And headache, Skin irritation, Dizziness, Stomach upset, Insomnia
Expert advice (What is betahistine?)
Do not start or continue the betahistine tablets:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Betavert 8 mg or any of the other ingredients of betahistine tablet.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding.Do not take alcohol while taking Betahistine 8 mg.
- If you have intolerance to some sugars like lactose.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking betahistine because you may feel drowsy.
- Doctor?s advice should be considered in case of following disease conditions: peptic ulcer, asthma, urticaria, rashes or allergic rhinitis, severe hypotension.
Q: Is Betavert 8 mg FDA approved?
A: No, Betahistine (Betavert 8 mg) is not approved by FDA.
Q: Is betahistine/Betavert 8 mg dihydrochloride an antihistamine/antibiotic/addictive?
A: No, it belongs to the group of medicines called histamine analogues. It is not antihistamine/antibiotic and it is not an addictive drug.
Q: Is Betavert 8 mg available over the counter?
A: No, it is available with doctor?s prescription only.
Q: Is betahistine used for vertigo/tinnitus?
A: Yes, it is used for vertigo, tinnitus. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use.
Q: How long can I take betahistine for?
A: Patient should take Betavert 8 mg for prescribed dose and duration as advised by doctor.
Q: Can I take betahistine with antihistamine/ cinnarizine/citalopram/amitryptyline/cetirizine/ paracetamol/ibuprofen/prochlorperazine?
A: No, taking other medicines may alter the effects of Betavert 8 mg. Patient should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use.
Q: Does betahistine make you sleepy/cause drowsiness/ weight gain?
A: Betavert 8 mg causing drowsiness is among common side effects. Weight gain may be observed rarely. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.