Elocon Cream 5 gm (Mometasone 0.1%)
Elocon Cream is used to treat used to treat the inflammation and itching caused by a number of skin conditions such as allergic reactions, eczema, and psoriasis. It is also used to relieve symptoms of hay fever, allergies of nose and nasal polyps (fleshy swelling inside the nose)
How it works
Mometasone Topical belongs to a category of drugs called as corticost**ds. It works by reducing the production of substances in the body that cause inflammation and allergies.
What is Elocon Cream?
Mometasone Furoate, also sold under the brand name Asmanex, Elocon among several other brands, is a corticost**d drug. It decreases the effects of the chemicals that cause redness, swelling, or inflammation. Mometasone Furoate is used to heal the inflammation and itching due to a host of skin conditions like allergic reactions, psoriasis, or eczema.
Mometasone Furoate may also be used for other treatment not mentioned above.
Important Information about Mometasone Furoate
• Use Mometasone Furoate medication strictly as prescribed by your doctor. After applying the topical Mometasone Furoate medication, don?t cover the affected area with anything. If you are using this medication on your baby inside a diaper area, don?t use tight fitting diapers or plastic pants. Covering the treated area may lead to higher than required absorption of the drug which may lead to some side undesired effects.
• You may not notice any results initially and it may take up to 2 weeks before which any visible results are noticed. Continue using this medication as directed and let your doctor know if your condition does not improve after 2 weeks of taking Mometasone Furoate medication.
• Don?t use Mometasone Furoate on children without consulting a doctor. This medication may affect growth in children as they are susceptible to high st**d absorption through skin. If you are using this medication on your child and if you notice any abnormality in his or her growth pattern, tell your doctor right away.
Before taking Mometasone Furoate
Don?t use Mometasone Furoate if you are allergic to it or milk proteins. Tell your doctor about your medical history, skin infections or drug allergies if any. This medication may increase blood sugar levels even when applied topically so be careful if you are diabetic.
Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or nursing a baby. He or she will advice you if it is safe for you to take Mometasone Furoate after thorough examination.
How should I take Elocon Cream?
• Take Mometasone Furoate medication strictly as prescribed by your doctor. Never change the prescribed dose in any way. Medication in lesser or larger amount may lead to worsening conditions and may render the medication completely ineffective. All prescriptions come with a patient instructions leaflet. Refer it for complete details.
• Remember to maintain a high level of hygiene while using Momentasone Furoate. Wash and dry your hands completely before and after applying the medication unless your hands have the affected area. Then put a small amount of medication as directed on the affected portion of your skin (Avoid applying to a large area of your skin) and massage gently. Don?t cover the medicated area with anything as that can lead to higher than required amount of medication getting absorbed by your skin.
Always store Mometasone Furoate medication in a cool and dry place away from heat, light, moisture, children and pets. Don?t freeze this medication.
What if I miss a Dose?
If you forgot to use the medication at the scheduled time, then use it as soon as you remember. However if the time to take the next dose is almost near, skip the missed dose and continue with the normal schedule. Don?t ever double dose on Mometasone Furoate or other medications.
What if I Overdose?
Get immediate medical attention if you feel that you have used too much of this medication. Mometasone Furoate overdose is not expected or known to cause severe conditions or effects. But high st**d doses for long period can lead to skin thinning, easy bruising, fat deposition alterations (shape and location of fat deposits), more acne or facial hair, irregular menstruation, impotence, or decreased libido
Things to avoid while using Mometasone Furoate
Don?t apply Mometasone Furoate medication on sensitive areas of your skin like face, underarms, or groin unless your doctor tells you to do so. Also avoid medication in your eyes, on wounds, damaged or infected skin. Rinse with water thoroughly if it gets into your eyes.
Mometasone Furoate Side Effects
• Though not all people show side effects of Mometasone Furoate, it may not be the same with you. Stop using this medication and get urgent medical attention if you experience any of these serious allergic reactions or side effects: skin hives, breathing difficulty, swelling in face, tongue, lips, or throat; extreme irritation of treated area of the skin; behavior changes; insomnia; vision problems like blurriness or seeing halos around light sources; unexplained weight gain; weakness in muscles; or lethargy. These conditions may be rare but always be alert and watchful.
• Some less serious and more common side effects of Mometasone Furoate medication are light skin rash, burning, itching, redness, or dryness; skin thinning; irritation of skin or rash around mouth; enlarged hair follicles; dilated veins (spider veins); numbness; tingling; color changes of treated skin; pimples, blisters, or crusting of treated skin; or stretch marks.
• The list of above side effects is non exhaustive and there may be other unwanted reactions and conditions. Tell your doctor about it right away if you feel uncomfortable.
Interaction with other drugs
Elocon Cream applied topically is not expected to interact with other medications taken orally or through intra venous route. But there may be exceptions. Share the details of all present prescription and OTC medications which you may be taking along with other related medical products such as herbal products. Never start a new medication, nor stop an existing one without the advice of your doctor.
• Do not take the medicine If you are allergic to it or to any other content in the medicine.
• Inform your doctor before taking the medicine if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breast-feeding a baby.
• Do not use mometasone cream to treat diaper rash.
Q: Is mometasone topical safe in pregnancy?
A: Mometasone may cause harm to the fetus. Hence, it is not advisable to take it in pregnancy without consulting your doctor.
Q: Is mometasone Topical a st**d drug?
A: Yes. Mometasone is a st**d drug.