Famocid 40 mg (Famotidine 40 mg)
• Famotidine is a histamine-2 blocker drug and belongs to a family of drugs called histamine-2 blockers. • Famotidine 40 mg tablet functions by lowering the natural production of acid in the stomach. Famotidine is available as various brands across the globe, some of which are Pepcid and Famocid (Sun Pharma).
• Famotidine is an acid reducer which is used to primarily treat and prevent stomach and intestinal ulcers. It is also used to treat conditions characterized by excessive acid production in the stomach like Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Famotidine 40 mg tablet may be given to people who have gastro-esophageal reflux disease or GERD and other conditions in which the stomach acid flows into the esophagus and causes heartburn. Famotidine may also be used for conditions not mentioned here.
How to use Famocid 40 mg?
Famotidine either alone or in combination with some other drugs is used for short term relief from heartburn, upset or sour stomach, indigestion and acidity (GERD; gastro esophageal reflux disease) and gastric ulcers.
How Famocid 40 works?
Famotidine 40 mg tablet belongs to a class of medication call H2 blockers. It acts by preventing release of excess acid by the stomach thus treating the above mentioned conditions.
Before taking Famotidine 40 mg tablet
• Before taking Famotidine acid reducing medication (Pepcid, Famocid), take care of all precautions mentioned above and discuss them with your doctor.
• Your doctor may need to decide if it is safe for you to take Famotidine if you have any of these conditions: liver or kidney disease, a personal or family history of Long QT syndrome, stomach cancer, asthma, chronic pulmonary obstructive disease (COPD), or breathing problems.
• Famotidine is not expected to harm an unborn baby if taken while being pregnant. Women should inform their doctor if they are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Famotidine can pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby. Don?t take Famocid 40 mg without your doctor advice if you are breast feeding.
Dosage of Famocid 40 mg
If you miss a dose of Famotidine, take it as soon as you remember. Don?t take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be harmful.
In case of an overdose of Famotidine 40 mg tablet, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immedaitely. Overdose may lead to nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or diarrhea.
Side Effects of Famocid 40
• Common side effects of Famotidine 40 mg tablet (Pepcid, Famocid) are nausea, vomiting, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth, headache, muscle cramps, or joint pain.
• These are not the only side effects of Famotidine. There may be others.
• Contact your doctor right away if you experience any serious side effects or if your condition worsens after taking Famotidine.
Q: Is famotidine a PPI/antacid/same as omeprazole/anticholinergic?
A: Famotidine belongs to a class of medication call antacids. Famocid is not a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) or an anticholinergic. It is not the same as omeprazole.
Q: Is famotidine 40 mg tablet an over the counter or prescription drug?
A: Famotidine is an over the counter drug.
Q: Is famotidine safe? Does it expire?
A: Famocid is safe when taken for an indication and at a dose strictly instructed by your doctor. It has an expiry date and should not be used beyond that date.
Q: Is famotidine 40 mg tablet better than ranitidine?
A: The doctor may prescribe either to you based on your symptoms. Please follow the instructions of your doctor.