Fluka 150 mg Tablet (Fluconazole)
Fluka 150 is used to treat fungal infections of the mouth, throat and food pipe (oropharyngeal and esophageal candidiasis), abdomen, lungs, blood, female genital infections (like vaginal candidiasis) and other organs. Fluconazole 150 mg tablet are also used for treat fungal infection of the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord (cryptococcal meningitis/ fungal meningitis).
How it works
Fluconazole belongs to class of antifungals called triazoles. Fluconazole acts mainly by preventing the growth of fungi. It interacts with chemicals inside the fungus and prevents the synthesis of an essential component of fungal cell membrane (ergosterol); this results in leakage of cellular contents from fungal cell, ultimately killing the fungi.
What is Fluconazole?
Fluka 150 mg tablet is an Antifungal antibiotic that is used against infections caused by fungus, which can affect any part of the body including mouth, throat, esophagus, lungs, bladder, genitals, and blood. This medicine is also used against fungal infection in people with compromised immunity such as that induced by cancer treatment, bone marrow transplant, or diseases such as AIDS.
Fluconazole tablets are sold under various trade names, some of which are Diflucan, Zocon DT (made by FDC), Fluka (made by Cipla), and Flucomet (made by Milmet). It is available as tablets and eye drops.
What is fluconazole used for?
• Fluconazole 150 mg antifungal medicine (Diflucan, Zocon DT, Fluka, Flucomet) should not be taken if you are allergic to it or to similar drugs like clotrimazole, econazole, ketoconazole, miconcazole, sertaconazole, sulconzole, terconazole, tioconazole, or voriconazole. This medicine should not be taken along with cisapride.
• Prior to taking fluconazole tablets, notify your doctor if you have liver disease, kidney disease, a heart rhythm disorder, or a history of Long QT syndrome. You must take this medicine for the entire prescribed period, even after all the symptoms have disappeared. The infection may still not be wiped out from your body. Not taking this medicine as prescribed can worsen your condition and cause an infection which is drug resistant.
• Fluka 150 mg Tablet is an FDA pregnancy category D drug. You must not take more than 1 dose of this medicine if you are pregnant. A single dose of Fluconazole 150 mg tablets for vaginal yeast infection is not expected to harm an unborn baby. However, using this medicine for a long time can be harmful to an unborn baby and cause birth defects. While taking Fluka 150 mg Tablet , use effective form of contraception. This medicine can pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby. Don?t take this tablets without proper medical advice if you are breast feeding.
Before taking Fluka 150 mg Tablet
Before taking Fluconazole antifungal medicine (Diflucan, Zocon DT, Fluka, Flucomet), take care of all precautions mentioned above. Discuss them with your doctor and clear all doubts which you may have about this drug.
Take Fluka 150 mg Tablet antifungal medication (Diflucan, Zocon DT, Fluka, Flucomet) strictly according to your doctor?s direction or according to the instructions on the medication label. Do not alter the dosage unless your doctor advises you to do so. Also, do not take this medication after the prescribed period is over. All medications come with a patient leaflet. Refer the instructions in them for detailed information on that particular medication.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Fluconazole 150 mg tablets , take it as soon as you remember. Don?t take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be harmful.
What if I overdose?
In case of an overdose of Fluka 150 mg Tablet, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immetiately.
Things and Activities to avoid while taking Fluconazole
Follow your doctor?s advice on any food or activity restrictions while taking Fluconazole.
Fluconazole Side Effects
• Some common side effects of Fluka 150 mg Tablet are nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, headache, and dizziness. If any of these side effects continue for long time or deteriorate, seek medical attention right away.
• Fluconazole 150 mg tablets may rarely cause a serious liver disease or other serious side effects. Signs of liver damage are severe stomach or abdominal pain, persistent nausea or vomiting, yellowing of eyes or skin, dark urine or unusual tiredness. Call your doctor right away if you experience any serious side effects due to Fluconazole.
• The side effects mentioned above are not the only ones that you may experience or witness due to Fluconazole 150 mg. If you get any serious side effects due to this medication, contact your doctor right away.
Fluconazole dosage may depend on a range of factors like age, sex, drug allergies, or seriousness of the condition among several other factors. Your dosage will be determined by your doctor after examining you properly. Remember to follow your doctor?s advice properly for best results.
Interaction with other drugs
Many other drugs can interact with Fluconazole 150 mg. Let your doctor know in advance if you use any of the following drugs: a blood thinner like warfarin or clopidogrel, alfentanil, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine methadone pimozide prednisone saquinavir, sirolimus, tacrolimus, theophylline, voriconazole, antidepressants, cancer medicines, cholesterol lowering medicines, heart or blood pressure medicines, NSAIDs, oral diabetes medicines, rifabutin, sedative drugs, or seizure medicines.
However, these are not the only medicines that can interact with Fluconazole tablets. There may be others as well. Inform your doctor about all other medicines and related products which you may be using. Never start a new medication without consulting your doctor first.
• Do not start or continue fluconazole and consult your doctor, If you are pregnant, suspect you might be pregnant or are breast feeding.
• Do not start or continue fluconazole and consult your doctor, If you have penile sores, ulcers or blisters or if you have an abnormal penile discharge (leakage), if you have pain on passing urine or if your penis has started to smell (odor).
• Consult your doctor if the symptoms have not been relieved within one week of taking fluconazole.
• Don?t take fluconazole alcohol while you are having this medication.
• If you?re on birth control pills, Fluka 150 mg Tablet can make them less effective. Consider using another method (condoms, diaphragms) along with the pills.
Q: Are Fluka 150 mg Tablet/ Flucos 150/Zocon kit/ Forcan/Syscan 150 safe?
A: Yes, fluconazole (also available Flucos 150/Zocon kit/ Forcan/Syscan 150) is safe, if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q: Is fluconazole safe in pregnancy and during breast feeding?
A: Fluconazole must be avoided during pregnancy and breast feeding unless required for a life threatening fungal infection.
Q: Can fluconazole be used for conditions such as UTI (urinary tract infections), BV (bacterial vaginosis), ring worms, bladder infections?
A: Fluconazole tablets can be taken in fungal infections of the urinary tract, which themselves are rare. Fluconazole is not recommended in BV (bacterial vaginosis), ring worms and bladder infections.
Q: Can fluconazole be taken with oral contraceptives or birth control pills?
A: Yes, fluconazole can be taken with contraceptives and birth control pills.
Q: Can Fluka 150 mg Tablet be taken with drugs such as azithromycin and metronidazole?
A: Yes, fluconazole can be safely taken with azithromycin and metronidazole. A combination kit with agents of similar class is available for vaginal infections.
Q: Can fluconazole be taken with milk and food?
A: Fluconazole can be taken with or without milk and other food products.
Q: Can fluconazole cause hair loss?
A: No, fluconazole does not cause hair loss. However, if you experience such side effects, please consult your doctor.