Foracort Rotacaps (Budesonide and Formoterol)
What is Foracort Rotacaps 200 (Budesonide and Formoterol Fumarate)?
Budesonide and Formoterol (Foracort Rotacaps 200) is a corticoid drug which is anti-inflammatory in action while Formoterol Fumarate is a bronchodilator which works by relaxing the airways muscles thus facilitating breathing. This inhalation combination medicine is given under prescription for asthma prevention; treatment of Degenerating Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and a number of other conditions not mentioned here. The medication goes by a number of trade names such as Symbicort, Pulmicort, Fomtide (from Sun Pharma) and Foracort (from Cipla pharmaceuticals).
Budesonide and Formoterol is used for treatment of wheezing, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties caused by asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) It is also used to treat bronchospasm (constriction of air passages) in people with night time asthma. Budesonide is used in the form of an inhaler for the treatment of asthma. It is also used for prevention and treatment of various allergies of the nose, throat or the lungs.
How it works?
Budesonide and Formoterol belongs to a class of medication called long acting beta agonists. It helps in relaxing the muscles of the air passages, thus widening it and making it easier to breathe. Budesonide belongs to a group of medicines called as corticost**ds. It works by reducing swelling and inflammation in the nose, throat, lungs or intestine.
Common Side Effects
Below are the common side effects that may occur when using Budesonide and Formoterol. Please consult your doctor if you observe any of these side effects even in mild form.
- A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ
- Back pain
- There may be other side effects, and this is not an exhaustive list. Not every side effects occur in every person. Please discuss with your medical practitioner for more information related to the side effects.
Foracort Rotacaps 200 Interactions
Medicine and salt interactions may increase or decrease the activity of Foracort Inhaler when taken together with certain other medicines. Foracort Inhaler interacts with the following medicines and salts:
Foracort Rotacaps 200 Contraindications
It is not recommended to consume Budesonide and Formoterol if you have the following diseases, medical or physical conditions:
- Acute infections uncontrolled by antimicrobial chemotherapy
- Asthma attack or taking asthma control medications
Foracort Rotacaps 200 Precautions
Take the following precautions or be careful about the following while consuming Foracort Inhaler:
- Do not take this drug if you are allergic to it
- Don?t stop taking this medicine suddenly
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals and drink plenty of fluids
- Never place a capsule in the mouthpiece of the inhaler
Missed Dose of Foracort Rotacaps 200
In case you miss a dose, apply or consume a dose as soon as you notice. If you are close to the time for your next dose, wait until then and then consume or apply your medicine. Never consume or use extra medicine to make up for a dosage that you have missed. If you are regularly missing doses, consider setting an alarm or asking a family member to remind you. Please consult your doctor to discuss changes in schedule or a new schedule to make up for missed medicines, if you have missed too many doses in the recent past.
Overdosage of Foracort Rotacaps 200
- Never take more medicine than the prescribed dose. Eating more medicine will not improve your symptoms, rather they may cause poisoning or serious side effects. If you suspect that you or anyone else may have taken an overdose of Foracort Inhaler, please go to the emergency department of the closest hospital or nursing home. Carry the medicine box, container or label with you to help doctors with necessary information.
- Never give your medicines to other people even if you know that they have the same condition or it seems that they have similar conditions. This may lead to overdosage or medicine poisoning.
- Please consult your physician or pharmacist or product package for more information.
Storage of Foracort Rotacaps 200
- Store medicines at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze medicines unless the packaging or storage instructions clearly require you to do that. Keep medicines away from children and pets to prevent them from accidental consumption.
- Do not flush medicines down the toilet or pour them into drainage unless specifically instructed to do so. Medicines discarded in this manner will enter the natural environment or be consumed by wildlife. This can cause irreparable environmental damage. Please consult your pharmacist or doctor for more details on how to safely discard Foracort Inhaler.
- Do not use Budesonide and Formoterol to treat an asthma attack that has already begun.
- Do not use this drug, if you are allergic to Foracort Rotacaps 200.
- Never place a capsule in the mouthpiece of the inhaler.
- Consult your doctor before taking Budesonide and Formoterol, If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breast feeding.
- It should be taken as an inhaler or nebulizer after clearly following instructions of the doctor and the instructions given in the patient information leaflet in the medication box.
Q: Is formoterol a st**d?
A: Formoterol belongs to a class of medication called long acting beta agonists. It is not a st**d; however it is available in combination with st**ds as an inhaler.
Q: How does formoterol work? How long does it take to work and how long does it stay in the body?
A: Formoterol belongs to a class of medication called long acting beta agonists. It helps in relaxing the muscles of the air passages, thus widening it and making it easier to breathe. Formoterol works best if taken before exercising or heavy work and another dose should not be taken in the next 12 hours. It is a long acting drug which is known to be effective for 12 hours in the body.
Q: What form does formoterol come in? What is formoterol fumarate/formoterol fumarate dihydrate/formoterol and budesonide/formoterol and advair?
A: Formoterol comes as a powder filled capsule for inhaler and a solution for nebulizer use. Formoterol fumarate and formoterol fumerate dihydrate are different formulations of formoterol. Budesonide is a st**d which may be prescribed by the doctor along with formoterol. Advair is another long acting beta agonist which is the brand name for salmeterol and fluticasone.
Q: Is Budesonide and Formoterol safe?
A: Budesonide and Formoterol is safe when taken as per the directions of the doctor.
Q: is Budesonide and Formoterol banned?
A: Budesonide and Formoterol is not banned.
Q: Does Budesonide and Formoterol cause weight gain?
A: There are no studies showing that Budesonide and Formoterol causes weight gain.
Q: Does formoterol cause death/asthma-related death?
A: Formoterol may increase risk of asthma-related death. It depends on the condition and co-morbidities and is individual response.
Q: Should formoterol be taken by pregnant women?
A: Formoterol should be taken by pregnant women only under the strict instructions and guidance of a doctor.
Q: Does budesonide inhaler contain st**ds?
A: Yes. Budesonide inhaler is a st**d drug used mainly to control an asthma attack.
Q: Is budesonide safe?
A: Yes. Budesonide is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side-effects, please consult your doctor.
Q: Is budesonide same as Pulmicort?
Yes. Pulmicort is a brand name of budesonide.
Q: Are budesonide and albuterol same?
A: No. Budesonide is different from albuterol which is a beta-receptor agonist drug. Both are used
to treat asthma.
Q: Can I take ibuprofen/prednisolone/Benadryl with budesonide?
A: Budesonide can be taken with ibuprofen or Benadryl only if advised by your doctor. Prednisolone is another st**d medication and generally not taken along with other st**d like budesonide, so it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking prednisolone with budesonide.
Q: Does budesonide cause weight loss/weight gain/hair loss/hyperactivity?
A: Budesonide may cause weight gain but not weight loss, hyperactivity or hair loss and increased hair growth on face. If you notice any such symptoms, please consult your doctor.
Q: Does budesonide cure cough? Does it help in croup?
A: Budesonide can cure cough related to asthma or allergic diseases of nose, throat or chest. It is not used for croup.
Q: Is Foracort Rotacaps 200 safe for infants?
A: It is advisable to consult your doctor before giving Foracort Rotacaps 200 to an infant or child.
Q: Can I Take Foracort Rotacaps 200 with food?
A: Yes. Foracort Rotacaps 200 can be taken with or without food. However, it should not be taken with grapefruit or grapefruit juice.