Pirfenex 200 mg (Pirfenidone)
Pirfenidone is a prescription medicine used to treat people with a lung disease called idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
FDA approval of two new drugs for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (Esbriet and Ofev) offers new hope for patients who live with this deadly, incurable disease.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Esbriet (pirfenidone), a TGF-beta synthesis inhibitor for the treatment of patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).
Uses of Pirfenex 200 mg tablets
Pirfenidone is used in the treatment of mild to moderate Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). IPF is chronic fibrotic and inflammatory lung disease where the lungs tissues become swollen and scarred over time due to synthesis and release of certain chemicals (pro-inflammatory cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor-alpha [TNF-?] and interleukin-1-beta [IL-1?]), causing difficulty in breathing.
How Pirfenex 200 mg tablet works
Pirfenidone is an anti-fibrotic and anti-inflammatory agent and belongs to a class of medications called pyridones. Pirfenidone relieves conditions of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis by reducing fibroblast growth (cells of the connective tissue which produce collagen and other fibres), reducing production of inflammatory chemicals and preventing accumulation of cell contents (extracellular matrix), thereby relieving swelling and inflammation of the lungs.
Common side effects of Pirfenex 200 mg tablets
• Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
• Sinus inflammation
• Loss of appetite
• Upper respiratory tract infection
• Weight loss
Before taking Pirfenidone:
Before you start treatment, tell your doctor if you:
• Have liver problems
• Have kidney problems
• Are a smoker
• Have any other medical conditions
• Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if the drug will harm your unborn baby.
• Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if the drug passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you will take Pirfenidone or reastfeed.
• Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the?counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
How should I take Pirfenidone?
• Take this medicine exactly as your doctor tells you to take it.
• Your doctor may change your dosage as needed.
• Take the medication with food. This may help to decrease nausea and dizziness.
• If you miss a dose, take your next dose as soon as you remember.
• Do not take two doses at the same time to make up for your missed dose.
• Do not take more than three doses each day.
• If you overdose, call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
• Your doctor should do certain blood tests before you start treatment.
Pirfenidone side effects:
Pirfenidone may cause serious side effects, including:
• Liver problems.Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained symptoms such as yellowing of your skin or the white part of your eyes (jaundice), dark or brown (tea colored) urine, pain on the upper right side of your stomach area (abdomen), bleeding or bruising more easily than normal, feeling tired. Your doctor will do blood tests to check how your liver is working during your treatment.
• Sensitivity to sunlight (photosensitivity) and rash.
• Stomach problems such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, indigestion, heartburn, and stomach pain may occur. Tell your doctor right away if your stomach problems get worse or do not go away. Your doctor may need to change your dose.
• The most common side effects include feeling tired, headache, dizziness and decreased or loss of appetite.
These are not all the possible side effects. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
Q: Is pirfenidone approved by FDA? Is it available in USA and Canada?
A: Yes, pirfenidone is approved by the FDA for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and available in USA and Canada.
Q: Is pirfenidone available in UK?
A: Yes, pirfenidone is available in the UK.
Q: Is pirfenidone available in Mexico?
A: Yes, pirfenidone is available in Mexico
Q: Is pirfenidone available in Australia?
A: Yes, pirfenidone is available in Australia
Q: How much does pirfenidone cost?
A: The price of pirfenidone may vary depending upon the brand prescribed to you. Please read the instruction on the package for the correct price of the product