Zocor 10 mg (Simvastatin)
What is Zocor 10 mg?
Simvastatin belongs to a family of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors or ?statins?. Simvastatin lowers levels of low density lipoprotein or LDL (considered as the bad cholesterol) and triglycerides in the blood, while increasing levels of high density lipoprotein or HDL (considered as the good cholesterol). High levels of LDL can result in stroke, heart attack, and other heart complications in people with diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other risk factors.Simvastatin is sold under various trade names, some of which are Zocor (Fako Pharma), Simlup (made by Lupin), and Simvotin (made by Ranbaxy).
Important Information about Zocor 10 mg
• Do not take Zocor 10 mg(Zocor, Simlup, Simvotin) if you are allergic to it, if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have liver disease. Stop taking this medication and notify your doctor immediately if you become pregnant while taking it. Prior to taking Zocor 10 mg , let your doctor know if you have a history of liver or kidney disease, diabetes, a thyroid disorder, or if you consume more than 2 drinks of alcohol daily. It has been noticed that myopathy was higher in patients of Chinese descent (0.43%) compared with patients not of Chinese descent. In rare cases, Zocor 10 mg can lead to a condition which results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, causing in kidney failure. Seek medical attention right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual fatigue, and dark colored urine.
• For best results from Zocor 10 mg, you must avoid a high fat diet (especially, saturated fat). If you do not avoid a high fat diet, this medicine will not be as effective as it should be. Also avoid or limit the consumption of alcohol. Alcohol can raise triglyceride levels and may increase your risk of liver damage.
• Simvastatin is only a part of a full line of treatment for high cholesterol which also includes diet restrictions, exercises, and other medicines. Follow a proper regimen of these things as directed by your doctor to keep your cholesterol levels in check.
• Simvastatin is an FDA pregnancy category X drug. It can harm an unborn baby if taken while being pregnant. If you become pregnant during treatment with Zocor 10 mg, stop taking it and contact your doctor immediately. Use of an effective birth control measure is recommended while taking this medicine. Simvastatin can pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby. Consult your doctor about this if you are breast feeding a baby.
Before taking Zocor 10 mg
Before taking Simvastatin (Zocor, Simlup, Simvotin), take care of all precautions mentioned above. Discuss them with your doctor and clear all doubts which you may have about this drug.
How should I take Zocor 10 mg?
Take Zocor 10 mg strictly according to your doctor?s direction or according to the instructions on the medication label. Do not alter the dosage unless your doctor advises you to do so. Also, do not take this medication after the prescribed period is over. All medications come with a patient leaflet. Refer the instructions in them for detailed information on that particular medication. Simvastatin is usually taken at bedtime or with an evening meal. You may need to take this medicine for a long period of time to keep high cholesterol in check.
You may need to temporarily suspend taking Zocor 10 mg if you have uncontrolled seizures, an electrolyte imbalance, severely low blood pressure, a severe infection or illness, dehydration, or surgery or a medical emergency. Always store this medicine in a cool and dry place.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Zocor 10 mg , take it as soon as you remember. Don?t take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be harmful.
What if I overdose?
In case of an overdose of Simvastatin, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immediately.
Common side effects
• Decreased urination,
• Dark colored urine,
• Loss of appetite,
• Muscle pain,
• Stomach pain,
Interaction with other drugs
Certain other drugs can interact with Simvastatin and increase the risk of serious muscle problems. Let your doctor know in advance if you use any other drugs or related products, especially these ones: amiodarone, colchicines, danazol, ranolazine, medicines that contain niacin, cimetidine, conivaptan, imatinib, isoniazid, drugs that lower immune system (such as anti cancer drugs, or immunosuppressive drugs used after organ transplant), diltiazem, gemfibrozil, fenofibrate, spironolactone, or other statin drugs such as rosuvastain, atorvastatin, fluvastatin, pravastatin, or lovastatin.
These are not the only drugs that can interact with Simvastatin. There may be others. Never start a new medication without taking proper medical advice.
Expert advice for Zocor 10 mg
• Restrict eating foods that are high in fat or cholesterol content. Lovastatin will be effective in lowering your cholesterol level if you follow a cholesterol-lowering diet plan.
• Seek immediate medical attention if you develop signs of: kidney problem; little or no urination, painful or difficult urination, swelling in feet or ankles; feeling tired or short of breath (or) liver problems; nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, tired feeling, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice.
• Do not consume alcohol while taking Zocor 10 mg as it may worsen the side effects.
• Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Q: Is Zocor 10 mg a blood thinner or a beta blocker or diuretic or is it a statin or does simvastatin thin your blood?
A: No, simvastatin is a statin (lipid-lowering agents) or HMG CoA reductase inhibitors.
Q: Is Zocor 10 mg the same as Lipitor (atorvastatin) or Crestor (rosuvastatin) or pravastatin?
A: No, although it belongs to same group of medications called statins.
Q: Can I take simvastatin with ibuprofen or lisinopril?
A: No results found for any interaction of Zocor 10 mg with ibuprofen or lisinopril, but always consult with your doctor before taking this medication.
Q: Can I take antibiotics or clarithromycin or amoxicillin or erythromycin or amlodipine or aspirin with simvastatin?
A: No, do not take antibiotics or clarithromycin or amoxicillin or erythromycin or amlodipine or aspirin with simvastatin, because they interact with each other.
Q: Does simvastatin cause hair loss or dry mouth or hair loss or constipation or diabetes or depression or it makes you high?
A: No. Zocor 10 mg does not cause hair loss or dry mouth or hair loss or constipation or diabetes or depression and it is not addictive.
Q: Does simvastatin cause joint pain or makes you tired?
A: Yes, sometimes simvastatin may cause joint pain or make you tired.